Wednesday, March 13, 2013

We Have a Pope


Pope Francis I
A photo I wish I'd taken.


We interrupt the writing of today's (okay, yesterday's) Lent diary to announce that approximately one hour ago, white smoke was seen pouring from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel. I was coming from having my teeth cleaned and had just checked the Pope App on my phone, but saw nothing and heard on the news as I drove home that the window of opportunity had passed and there would most likely need to be another enclave, then minutes later heard the announcement that there was white smoke. I tuned in to the live feed on my Pope App on my phone and kept it on all the way home, listening to the cheers and the bells ringing all through Piazza San Pietro, all while shopping at Stop and Shop and checking my mail at the post office. This is all very moving and I have found myself close to tears for most of the past hour.

We now know that new pope is Jorge Mario Bergoglio, a Franciscan from Argentina who will be known as Pope Francis I.

I have never been happier or prouder to be Roman Catholic. Viva Papa!

(And don't the numbers 3-13-13 have a nice ring to them?)

No comments:

Post a Comment