Wednesday, March 6, 2013

March 6 - Lent, Day 22 - God Uses Adversity


Dr. Scott Hahn, Lenten Journey


I've always loved the story of Joseph; how, in a fit of jealousy, his brothers threw him into a hole and left him for dead, which ultimately led to his being taken to Egypt, sold into slavery, which ultimately - by way of a long and complicated journey - resulted in salvation for the entire Hebrew people. I just love this story, and I think of it often when times are tough. This story is a metaphor in so many ways (think: a bulb that emerges after spending the winter underground and blooms into a magnificent daffodil; or a baby that emerges from the dark womb), and most certainly is a foreshadowing of Christ's death, descent into hell, and rising again to save all of humankind. I have many examples in my life where God has used adversity to my advantage and ultimate victory. St. Paul famously said, "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." (Romans 8:28) And I think it was the Dalai Lama who said, "Sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of good luck." I have experienced - many times over - and absolutely believe it to be true that God uses adversity to our advantage.

Dr. Hahn's questions for today: What opposition am I facing? Am I trusting God's promises or living with unhappiness and worry?


My family has been in a state of brokenness and chaos for several years now - a maelstrom of legal and relationship issues - and I am now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I have told my kids more than once: just watch - everything will turn out just right in the end, and you will be able to look back on the situation and say, "I'm so glad it didn't work out the way I wanted it to five years ago." Which doesn't mean I haven't had a few sleepless nights along the way - but yes, for the most part I do trust that God is in charge and that all will work out for the best; partly because of my age. At 62, I've got some experience under my belt to back up my beliefs.

Dear God, help me to trust you, even when I'm in the dark hole of despair.


Dr. Scott Hahn, Lenten Journey
Detail of the prayer shawl (tallit) I wove for myself for the occasion of my Bat Mitzvah ceremony in 2002, which reminds me of Joseph's multi-colored coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment