Friday, March 15, 2013

March 14 - Lent, Day 30 - The New Moses

How hungry am I for Jesus? What steps do I need to take to increase my appetite for the true Bread from heaven?

I once figured out that during the years between 1997-2000, I received Holy Communion approximately 400 times (daily Mass and as many as 3 or 4 weekend Masses in the summer swells the number). During the twelve years I was practicing Judaism ("gone from the church," I want to say, but I now know that I hadn't, in fact, gone anywhere), I often thought (and dreamed, many times - I am sure that Jesus was present in these dreams) about all of the Bread I had consumed during those years, thinking of it as a kind of viaticum - a word that is more often used in the context of administering a Last Communion to the dying - a word that is literally translated as provisions for a journey, or, if you will, "food for the journey." I now realize that my provisions must have begun running out this past spring, the reason I needed to get back to church.


Scott Hahn, Lenten Journey, challa, Jesus, Moses
L'Shana Tova! September 22, 2006. Nine Loaves of challah I baked for Rosh Hashana: three plain, three whole wheat, three with golden raisins.




No comments:

Post a Comment