Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 1 - Lent, Day 17 - Laugh at the Impossible

In reference to Abraham's and Sarah's reaction to the news that they, in their old age, would have a son (they both laughed), and the way that God can do the impossible, Dr. Hahn asks: What impossible situation am I facing right now? How can I face it with joy, and even laughter?

I have faced many seemingly impossible situations in my life, but few as difficult as has been the situation within my family over the past 5-8 years; an un-gluing of sorts, with my three grown children each going in his or her own direction; at various times not speaking to me, or to each other - fallout from their father's death eight years ago for the most part, I believe. However, in the past few months I have seen miraculous changes taking place - and I do mean miraculous, as only God - in response to my fervent prayers - could change a situation that I thought was truly hopeless and that had brought me more grief than I thought could ever be possible as a mother. There is still more change that needs to take place, but having seen the miracles unfold so far, and knowing that God is in charge and can do anything, I believe that my family will be renewed and restored to greatness. And yes, I am able to laugh at times: "Who's talking to Mom today, that's the question - it's like a kaleidoscope. You rotate it and all of the elements change position and give you a new picture. This is why you have to have at least three kids, so on any given day at least one of them is speaking to you."

Here's a song I wrote a few years ago about Sarah's laughter, called Dancing in the Light of Your Smile. This song came into being because I needed a song about Sarah (the other Sarah) to sing with children. This is a song about longings fulfilled, about birth and re-birth; a song of joy; the idea that Sarah’s laughter reverberates through the generations, that we continue the fulfillment — realized in the birth of Isaac — of Sarah’s longings, the “stars in her eyes,” which is also an allusion to Abraham’s conversation with God in which God promises that Abraham and Sarah’s descendants “will out-number the stars in the sky.”

The photograph was taken at a dance performance at The Yard dance studio in Chilmark, Massachusetts in 2001 while on assignment for the Martha's Vineyard Times.



Dear God, please give me the ability to step out of my situation - any situation - and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment