Saturday, February 23, 2013

February 23 - Lent, Day 11 - Slaves or Sons?


Sara Piazza, personal journal, Food for the Journey, Scott Hahn, Lenten Reflections, the Sabbath



Desperately trying to catch up with this journal idea that has flown out of my hands and out of control, like a sheaf of paper in the wind. I am able, at least, to read each day's offering from Dr. Hahn; it's finding the time to write that is vexing me at the moment.

Though I'm a few days behind - with many thoughts swirling in my head, begging to be released - I will focus on today (with the little time I have remaining before babies barge through my door in forty-five minutes).

Today's question from Scott Hahn: What specific activities or habits would make Sunday a day of rest for me? What is one thing I could refrain from doing? What could I do differently?

Ah, yes - the Sabbath - a subject that is near and dear to my heart, and as a practicing Jew for twelve years, a day and a concept that was a very large presence in my life. (I'm beginning to notice, as I write, how influential having been Jewish is in my Catholic Christian life. Indeed, I have remarked more than once over the past few months on how beneficial I believe it would be for every Christian to be Jewish for a couple of years).

The Jewish Sabbath, depending on what circles one is traveling in (as is true in every aspect of Judaism; as the saying goes: ask three Jews, get four opinions), ranges from absolutely no observance whatsoever, all the way to not turning on or off lights (along with unscrewing the bulb in the refrigerator so that the light doesn't come on), no cooking (which requires a flame; lighting a flame is prohibited on the Sabbath) except to set a special metal plate on the stovetop (called a blech) over low heat before the Sabbath begins and leave it on the stove for all of the twenty-five hour Sabbath observance; no riding in cars; no shopping (unless for medicine); no discussion or thought of work, war, or disease; no musical instruments to be played.

And yes, in my twelve years of Judaism, I experimented with and participated in every possible expression of Sabbath observance, from the most strict to the most liberal. And while I no longer observe the Jewish Sabbath, I have been able to carry some of my Shabbat habits over into Catholicism. I will say, the Christian concept of a Sabbath observance is an absolute walk in the park compared to Judaism. I will also say, today's world - of over-busyness; fewer boundaries between the work week and Sunday, or office space and home space; stores open on Sundays - makes observing any kind of Sabbath more challenging than in days gone by.

As for "What specific activities or habits would make Sunday a day of rest for me," and what I could refrain from doing or do differently: for starters, because I'm in the music ministry, often playing at Sunday morning Mass, it is already sort of a work day. Not completely, but yes, I do have responsibilities outside of myself.

What I try to do is limit any kind of business dealings, which isn't entirely possible, but it is something I strive for. Being in business for myself - fielding calls for my rental property or my photography business occasionally intrudes on my Sabbath. I recently changed my rental turnover day from Sunday to Saturday, both so I can pursue my music ministry as well as abstain from hard labor. I often try to treat myself to something totally indulgent, like working on a favorite photo or house project; something just for me on Sunday. I do find myself longing, sometimes for a real Shabbat - a day of emptiness - but that is an endeavor that, for me, anyway, is more difficult thaמ working eight hours of hard labor. The interesting thing about doing nothing, though, is even though it feels lazy and decadent, I wake up the next day refreshed and renewed and able to accomplish much more than I would be able to without taking a time out.

I must redouble my efforts to make Sunday restful and holy: take a walk, visit a friend, lie on the couch and watch a movie or read a book?

Lord, help me break my addiction to busyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment