Thursday, September 27, 2012

Living Streams






Twice this week I've dreamed that there were huge pools of water in my yard - one in the back yard, old and stagnant, covered over with sheets of plywood; the second pool, in this morning's dream, was in the front yard, a huge sink hole next to the water spigot, bubbling and alive.

Today's dream has evoked a slurry of words and images, all swirling around in my morning brain - the place where my nighttime, dreaming mind interfaces with my daytime, becoming-conscious mind - add morning Mass/hymns/songs/Communion to the mix; all of the above fostering the knowledge that God is very near and that all is well...

Water of Life
River of Life
The Woman at the Well
Miriam's Well
Spring Up, Oh Well
Moses and the Rock
Holy Water
Source of Life
Living Stream
Overflowing
Abundance
Baptismal Waters
River of God
Streams bubble, bubble up
Fill my home. My Life.
Wash me clean.


...as well as a couple of songs, including this one - learned many years ago and played and sung at many a bible study:

I've got a river of life flowing out of me,
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see,
Opens prison doors, sets the captives free,
I've got a river of life flowing out of me.

Spring up, oh well, into my soul!
Spring up, oh well, and make me whole!
Spring up, oh well, and give to me,
That life, abundantly!

And this Tim Manion song (based on Psalm 46), which I had the pleasure and honor of singing at my first-born grandchild, River's (yes - great name, right?), naming ceremony in May, 2010:

There is a river, a great flowing river
And it makes glad the City of God.
Broad are its waters, and deep are its voices,
Its songs are of peace in the house of the Lord

What shall we fear, though nations may tremble
and darkness may rise to trouble the sun.
The kingdom is near, the remnants assemble,
and lift up their eyes to a day just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment